Saturday 4 September 2010

Saartje's Booties

These are my version of Saartje's Booties by a very clever knitter named Saartje.

This time I used a larger needle (3mm), as my first attempt a year ago (using the prescribed 2.5mm needle) resulted in far too small a shoe (the bootie was small enough to enclose a grape!). They are now rather large, but will perhaps do for a 6-months old baby.

This pattern has been top of my queue for years, so I’m glad I finally got round to making the booties. It has to be one of the most popular patterns on Ravelry, so I'm glad I could make my contribution.

Do you like the little mother-of-pearl flower buttons? Believe it or not, they actually came from my button stash. I did not buy new buttons!

The yarn you may recognise, as I have previously made Umbilical Cord Hats and my-own-pattern booties in it (as gifts for other people). It's Malabrigo Worsted in Amoroso, a spicy red that changes to orange, pink and purple. Although good in Stocking Stitch, I think the little bumps of Garter Stitch really shows this yarn off best.



One bootie is not as pefect as the other as I used the yarn frogged from the earlier bootie (see above); perhaps I should have ironed it before re-using it.

However, I'm really happy with them, and they will look lovely on a little girl if that's what we have, and will co-ordinate with the matching Umbilical Cord Hat I made years ago in the same yarn.

1 comment:

Irmhild said...

love that colour!