It's finished and I love it!
It's been finished for three weeks, but had to be blocked, plus at this time of year I always have to wait for the weekend to photograph FO's because it's dark when I leave for work in the morning and even darker when I get home.
What I loved about it:
Moss Stitch edges
Cabling detail - the amount, process and the finished result
Fluted sleeves which also turn in at the elbow to createa puffed look - they feel really nice and look flattering
Ribbing - flattering and clever arrangement - the ribbing on the fronts and back is echoed by the sleeves, the detail of which also taper at the side
Sizing is perfect
Very thick and warm
Speed of project - v. quick; took about 3 weeks
Would make another, or similar with modifications
What I didn't love:
At least one knot in every ball
Depth of colour differed noticeably, despite using exactly the same dye lot throughout
As you can see, the positives far outweighed the negatives.
The only modification I made was to knit the sleeves in the round (of course) and the entire body in the round, only separating at the very top of the fronts and back. This made it much quicker, and of course I avoided having to seam.
I would have picked up stitches and knitted the sleeves from the body, but I didn’t want to fuss over the sleeve shaping calculations, so I knit the sleeves in the round separately and joined them to the body using mattress stitch. I thought I would be able to kitchener stitch the top of the back to the two fronts, as I did on the neck band join, but as they’re ribbed they looked better with mattress stitch.
Yes, there is band of slightly different-coloured pink along the bottom. I used exactly the same dye lot for the whole project. As I have enough yarn left over, I thought about picking up the stitches and re-working that area, but there’s no guarantee that the colour will be right that time. Fortunately you don’t notice it so much when it’s on.