Sunday 29 November 2009

Spanish Omlette

Now this is nothing fancy, and I make it all the time, but I thought it looked good on the plate.
In case you're interested, here's how to make it:
Spanish Omlette (some say Frittata)
Serves 4-8 depending on how large a slice you serve!)
Approx. 200g baby new potatoes, cut into half-inch pieces
6 slices honey roast ham, cut into half-inch pieces
Half a red onion, chopped
150g cheddar cheese, grated
6 eggs (you can make this with 4 eggs, but I stretched it out)
Olive oil.
Preheat the grill to Medium. Parboil the baby new potatoes. Fry the onion in a very small amount of olive oil. Set aside.
Whisk the eggs in a bowl. Add the cheese, ham, par-boiled potatoes, onion and salt and pepper. Tip this mixture into the same frying pan and cook on a medium flame for about 5 minutes until the edges come away from the side of the pan (this means the bottom will also be cooked).
Transfer the frying pan to the grill and leave for about 10 minutes, or until the top is golden and the egg has set.
Take out from under the grill; it will keep on cooking.
Serve at room temperature with salad.
I almost always make this with chorizo for that Spanish feel, but fancied a change this time. I may make it with peas and ham next time, omitting the cheese. You can make whatever variation you like.
My little Brother came to stay at the beginning of the week and we ate it. It's a simple mid-week meal that I make very often.

I had a great time with DB, who was in London for an interview. Here's hoping he gets the job so I can see him more often!
My eyes are now swimming in a sea of camel stockinette, so I must get back to the cardigan. Having frogged it down to the arm-holes due to the fit (I want to get it right), I have now finished the back, and almost one front. Just one more front and the tops of the sleeves to go.
I'm also about 80% of the way through the Aeolian Shawl.

No comments: