Monday 6 December 2010

A Tale of Two Berets

A little while ago, my friend Louise, my best commissioner by far, asked me for a beret. Had I had more time, I would have come up with a design of my own to reflect her wishes, but given that time was running out before the baby came, I decided to follow a pattern this time, and give her the beret for her Birthday.
Now, I'm afraid I didn't get it finished in time for her Birthday, but it was a belated present. Above is my version of the Soft Linen Lace Beret, by Meg Myers which Louise had found the pattern for and liked. I made it in Rowan Cashsoft DK.

It was an easy and quick project (aren't they the best?!), taking a week. I followed the pattern to the letter, and was pleased with the overall result.
When we had originally been looking for a beret which Louise would like, she emailed me a photo of a cabled one from a shop. I looked around and found a similar pattern, which would do. Ordinarily I would have improvised one of my own to suit the exact item she was looking for, but time wasn't on my side.
Voila, the Grey Beret, my version of the Cabled Beret, by Ashley Elva. I hadn't used the yarn before, Louisa Harding Thistle (aran) and liked the way it knitted up, so may well use it in future.
This one was even quicker. The only modifications I made were to skip a whole cable repeat and reduce the no. decrease rounds at the crown, because it would have ended up being too slouchy (not what Louise wanted in this case).
Again, I'm pleased with this one, a two-day project. And more to the point, Louise likes both.

Meanwhile, back to the Little Sister Dress. I have a feeling I'm going to still be on this one when I'm in labour, but they do recommend doing something to take your mind off the pain!

No comments: